About Me

My photo
Charlotte, North Carolina
I am starting out my social work career and my marriage. I write to relieve stress...mostly by sarcastically telling life stories.

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Fairy Tales

Over the Christmas Holiday my husband gave me one of Barnes and Noble's leather bound classic books. I haven't had time to start reading it until this week.
I wanted to collect several of these special books. I think they are beautiful and the fairy tales are really neat because of the illustrations on the inside. I mentioned before that I also have the Alice in Wonderland edition.

But- has anyone ever taken the time to actually read fairy tales once you grow up? How did we go to sleep after reading these stories as kids? They really should have given us nightmares. Cinderella's evil step sisters hacked off their toes and heel to fit into the special slipper. The prince then realized they were not Cinderella because they were squirting blood on the shoes. Seriously, this is a kids story.

Plus- now that I am about 100 pages in I can no longer count the amount of stories that end with death. Death of all forms- beheading, murder, etc. In general if you are the "bad" guy you will be killed- graphically. So, I guess it is true that fairy tales teach you morals. So much for my dreams of reading my fancy book to my future kids one day.

I literally sit around laughing as I read them because they are so odd. My husband then makes me read aloud so he can laugh also- or look at me like I'm crazy. But, I got used to that a long time ago. Ha Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment