About Me

My photo
Charlotte, North Carolina
I am starting out my social work career and my marriage. I write to relieve stress...mostly by sarcastically telling life stories.

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Lemon Chewies


Does anyone else have a recipe from your family where no one knows what you are talking about when you say the name? I ask people all the time if they want me to make lemon chewies and they just stare at me.

I suppose a lemon chewie is like a lemon bar. My grandmother has made these my whole life and clearly- to me- they will always be called a lemon chewie.

We have dinner plans two nights this weekend at friend's homes so this is an easy recipe that you can whip together to feed a lot of people.

Lemon Chewies

"Crust"

1 box lemon cake mix
1/2 cup melted margarine
1 egg

Mix with spoon or fork. Pat mixture into greased 19x13 pan. Set aside.

"Topping"

8oz. pkg of cream cheese
1 box of confectioners sugar (this is how you know it's an old recipe- my guess is 1 lb.)
2 eggs
2 t. lemon flavoring

Cream the sugar and cheese, add eggs. Last add lemon flavoring. After putting this topping on the cake crust bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes. Will be crusty on top but still kinda gooey. Sift confectioners sugar on top while still warm. Let cool completely in pan before cutting into squares.

Hope everyone has a great Labor Day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment