About Me

My photo
Charlotte, North Carolina
I am starting out my social work career and my marriage. I write to relieve stress...mostly by sarcastically telling life stories.

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Chocolate Pie

Do you ever have those days where you could throw your baking project against a wall? Well this pie seems to be one of mine. This is what I get for straying from the pioneer woman who gives me step by step picture examples.

I will preface by saying the pie still tasted fine- it just annoyed me.

Tip #1: Do not realize in hindsight that you have a deep dish pie pan which forces you to run around and make a second batch.
Tip #2: When a recipe says cook till thick- it actually means thick- like pudding I think. I took it to mean till it started to get goopy but still pourable. I even put my pie in the fridge to set up and when sliced it still was a mess. Again- it tasted really good so I will focus on that.



Chocolate Pie

1 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon plain flour
1/2 cup cocoa (I use the new dark chocolate cocoa)
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 egg yolks
2 cups milk
1 Tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cooked pie shell (I use Pillsbury cause I'm lazy)

1. Place first four ingredients into a saucepan.
2. Stir in egg yolks and slowly whisk in milk.
3. Cook over medium heat until thick- again really thick like pudding!
4. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Pour into your pie shell and smooth it out.

It tastes really good with some whipped cream on top. Hopefully, you guys have a normal pie dish and understand what "thick" means. Good luck- it really is yummy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment