About Me

My photo
Charlotte, North Carolina
I am starting out my social work career and my marriage. I write to relieve stress...mostly by sarcastically telling life stories.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Work, Work, and More Work

At this point I have been working at my job for about a month. So far I have enjoyed it although it is not perfect. I like being in the classroom, but it is hard to play the role of "therapist" when you have to basically act as a teacher. Of course, when acting as a teacher one must have some form of authority and that sometimes ruins the therapeutic relationship with these kids.

When I interviewed for this position they told me that within six months they would move me into one of the main therapist positions. I think HR has some policy about how quickly employees can switch positions. Basically the only title change is going from Mental Health Clinician I (which I am now) to a Mental Health Clinician II. The "II" position is the lead therapist. They are not in the classroom, they have their own office, and they get to have individual, group, and family sessions. It is very important to me to meet this goal for my career.

Right now we have two full time therapists and a part time therapist. In August, one of our therapist is being moved to another program and she is trying to advocate that I get her position. It is possible that I will still have to wait that six months- in which case she would have to work both sites till I could move to a therapist role.

I know I am so fortunate to have a job. I also know I have always been very lucky when it comes to jobs. I am almost always hired when I interview. Is is wrong to hope I can find a loophole and become even more blessed to be moved into a therapist position early?

I want to be able to play the role of therapist and I feel like I am chomping at the bit to move into that job. I don't want to seem ungrateful, but I also want the agency to know what my goals are. I know the therapist is talking to the "powers to be" about me but I don't know if I should broach the subject also. I swear being a grown up and figuring out the world is way to difficult sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment