About Me

My photo
Charlotte, North Carolina
I am starting out my social work career and my marriage. I write to relieve stress...mostly by sarcastically telling life stories.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

You and I

Yesterday was a not so great day at work. One of my kids punched my favorite teacher and another kid tried to pop the back of my bra. My patience ran out and I lost my therapeutic self. It was also my first day back this week because I was in training on Monday and Tuesday. Today I am hoping to start my day off right. I am going to reread a poem they gave us in training. I hope today it will help me remember to be there for the kids- no matter what.

YOU AND I
By: Elaine Popovich

I am a resident. You reside.

I am admitted. You move on.

I have behavior problems. You are rude.

I am non-compliant. You don’t like being told what to do.

When I ask you out to dinner, it is an outing. When you ask someone, it is a date.

I don’t know how many people have read the progress notes people have written about me. I don’t even know what’s in there. You didn’t speak to you best friend for a month after she read your diary.

I made mistakes during my check-writing program. Someday I might get a bank account. You forgot to record some withdrawals from your account. The bank called to remind you.

I wanted to talk with a nice looking person behind us at the grocery store. I was told that it is inappropriate to talk to strangers. You met your spouse in the produce department. He couldn’t find the bean sprouts.

I celebrated my birthday yesterday with five other resident and two staff members. I hope my family sends a card. Your family threw you a surprise party.

My case manager sends a report every month to my guardian. It says everything I did wrong and some things I did right. You are still mad at your sister for calling your mom after you got a speeding ticket.

I am on a special diet because I am five pounds over my ideal weight. Your doctor gave up telling you.

I am learning leisure skills. Your shirt says you are a couch potato.

After I do my budget program tonight I might get to go to McDonalds if I have enough money. You were glad the new French restaurant took your charge card.

My case manager, psychologist, physical therapist, nutritionist, and house staff set goals for me for next year. You haven’t decided what you want out of life.  

Someday, I will be discharged…maybe. You will move onward and upward.

No comments:

Post a Comment