About Me

My photo
Charlotte, North Carolina
I am starting out my social work career and my marriage. I write to relieve stress...mostly by sarcastically telling life stories.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My generation

As I am about to embark on my career and therefor job searches I have begun to notice some trends in my generation that are not so flattering. I always feel like I am an old lady amongst my peers. I don't party, I am not a procrastinator, and I generally think I am a hard worker who has values and morals. I am not afraid to state what I believe in and stand my ground.

My generation is known for their partying ways. They are known for thinking they are entitled to things, things their parents worked 30 years for and yet we should have NOW. My generation is known for not really knowing anything about the world because we are too busy seeing if Lindsay Lohan is in jail yet.

I have a hard time with this because I frequently feel weird among my peers. Don't get me wrong - I have some great friends who are smart enough to realize there are more important things in this world than having the latest fashion trends and knowing about celebrities. But finding these friends is hard for me. These women, who I consider friends, are amazing people. They are loving and not judgemental and they want the world to be a better place tomorrow then it is today. They accept all people no matter what race, sexual orientation, or income level they have.

These people give me hope when I hear a racist comment. These people give me hope when I hear yet another state banning gay marriage. These people give me hope when I hear young people who have nothing better to discuss then their drunken escapades. These people give me hope that when I have children they will not dismiss people because they are "different" but they will love others for those differences.

Sometimes I wish I could live in a generation of simpler times. I love the 50s trends:

But then I think, "Would I have thought segregation was normal if I grew up then"?


I love the 60s peace and love hippies and the music is my favorite

But then I think, "Would I have wanted to watch the men my age be drafted"?


I love the 70s sitcoms 


But I think, "Would I have wanted to fight for fair rights just because I was born a woman"?

I was born in the 80s- a time in which our country had more wealth than it has in generations. Although I think my generation may be spoiled I am glad that I was raised in a time where, slowly but surely, society is working toward fairness and equality among all people. I am proud to say I will be a social worker and I believe in social justice and I hope that my generation will not just be about me, me, me but that we will also promote acceptance and integrity.

No comments:

Post a Comment