About Me

My photo
Charlotte, North Carolina
I am starting out my social work career and my marriage. I write to relieve stress...mostly by sarcastically telling life stories.

Friday, July 20, 2012

30 Day Challenge- Day #24

24. Describe your family dynamic of your childhood vs. your family dynamic now.

Well, hmm- let's start off with the fact that my parents live 18 hours away from me. Obviously, growing up I lived with them. At least my brother hasn't left me yet. Sorry, I have to rub it in at any opportunity.

I would say that the biggest change is that our relationship is not as parent to child but parent to adult child. That sounds like a subtle change but it should be a large difference. In certain ways I am much closer to them-even with the distance. I distinctly remember my dad sitting me down when I was in college and telling me that, "our relationship will change because I'm not a little kid anymore". I appreciate that my parents have let me grow up. I watch so many people hang on to those apron strings just begging for their kids to never leave childhood. I think that since my parents let me go- I came back.

I still depend on my parents for advice and guidance quite a bit. When you are a kid you look to your parents for everything but as an adult I realized that they gave me the tools to do it myself. Living miles apart has taught us and made us work for our relationship. I have to actually make an effort to see my brother and my parents but it makes you appreciate that bond more. The biggest difference I see is that I don't need my parents anymore- but, instead, I choose to need them.

Happy Friday,

No comments:

Post a Comment