About Me

My photo
Charlotte, North Carolina
I am starting out my social work career and my marriage. I write to relieve stress...mostly by sarcastically telling life stories.

Monday, July 2, 2012

30 Day Challenge- Day #6

6. What is the hardest thing you have ever experienced?

I thought for a long time about this question. Quite frankly, it is just a hard one to answer. I try not to look at my life as having a defining moment that was- bad. I have learned many things from being a therapist and one of those is that no matter what you go through- it is up to you how your life proceeds.

I don't want to be someone who lists off the things I have gone through that are negative. The fact is- I have survived them and, in my opionon, am a stronger person for it. My life hasn't been perfect but I have seen so many young children who have already lived through three times the emotional heartache I have at 26 years old.

It is so easy as a human being to dwell in the negative. I can't tell you how many people I work with who just lay in bed and sleep away their life or hurt themselves just to feel something-anything. I admit that I am not a happy go lucky, glass half full, kinda person. But, I don't let myself sit around and analyze what I have experienced.

The fact is life isn't meant to be effortless. It is meant to be an experience. Good or bad we have to figure out who we are on our own. Not based on who hurt you, or what you have seen, or even how many people love and support you. I feel that the only person who can define me and decide how my life will be is- me.

I will not be the person who blames others for the reason I make bad decisions in my own life. I choose to truck on forward and make myself a better person on my own terms. Life may not be easy, but it is worth living and it is worth experiencing.

Happy Monday,


No comments:

Post a Comment